Sunday, December 11, 2011

Review: Crossed by Ally Condie


Author: Ally Condie
Book: Crossed (2nd Matched series)

Rules are different outside the Society.
Chasing down an uncertain future, Cassia makes her way to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky-taken by the Society to his certain death-only to find that he has escaped into the majestic, but treacherous, canyons. On this wild frontier are glimmers of a different life and the enthralling promise of rebellion. But even as Cassia sacrifices everything to reunite with Ky, ingenious surprises from Xander may change the game once again.
Narrated from both Cassia's and Ky's points of view, this hotly anticipated sequel to Matched will take them both to the edge of Society, where nothing is as expected and crosses and double crosses make their path more twisted than ever...






Now, I have to be honest and say this... Crossed in my opinion wasn't as good as Matched. Needless to say I adore the series, it's thrilling and new and adventurous and rather addicting; but I guess Matched was just SO good.. it was tough to live up too maybe? 

However on some levels it does live up to Matched, in that it will break your heart just as much, some of the character you'll become attached to without even realising it and feel at loss when they're gone. I won't mention names and specifics for those who have not read it yet, but for those who have you know who I mean. 

I liked the beginning of the book really loved it, the chase, the wondering if he's just left and she's just behind him; you know up until they find one another again is great, it keeps you on your toes. After they find one another the story seems to come to a halt; in my opinion the way they act towards one another is not of those who are truly in love and have just found each other after months of separation. I mean wouldn't you be edgy for anything to ever happen to them again, you wouldn't separate voluntarily right? Although I do see the reasons...

Also, I guess I was a little disappointed the society didn't have more an involvement in Crossed, took away the suspense a little? Not that I wanted them to be caught but at least come VERY close to it or something like that.

I did however love the twist, the major breath taker near the end, never would have suspected it, or him if you get my drift, just wow, at least we know the third book is gonna be a gob smacker! The fact that I was so surprised is what I love in book, that managed to lay something down so subtly that you don't realise it until they've revealed it; I think that kind of made the book for me, since on a whole the ending wasn't the most thrilling. 

I did enjoy this book, because I love the series, but I believe Matched was slightly better than it's sequel. 

Therefore this book gets a 4/5 rating off Words on the shelf. 


3 comments:

  1. I need to read this series some time - great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved Matched but I haven't got around to reading Crossed yet. I think you're right when you say that when a book is SO good it's pretty hard to follow up with something just as good.

    But I still hope to read this book pretty soon. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete