Monday, June 04, 2012

Review: The Hunger Games (#1) by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I love The Hunger Games. It's simply a great dystopian novel that's original, action packed and nail biting. It's one of those books you don't even notice as you fly past the chapters, there's no way you're putting it down once you've started. 

The Hunger Games setting and storyline is so different to other dystopians I have read, the book on a whole has something else compared to most fiction books including the characters personalities. The heroine in most novels are portrayed as weak, feeble, but Katniss is quite the opposite; she is strength even with her flaws and is a inspirational character on a whole. Peeta is weak in comparison throughout this book although he has quite a low profile and it is not until the ending that we see his true character. At first I was suspicious of him, even at the beginning of the games, but during the end I grow to adore him too. The complicated relationship that evolves between them both is sweetly sad, it's real. The other tributes also have their own unique personalities which give twists in the games.

Written from first person perspective, Katniss's experiences and emotions become yours, I felt her connection to Rue, her despise of the 'Careers' and the complex emotions towards Peeta and Gale- Which I foresee will play a big role in the next books, everyone adores a good old love triangle. Gale's character takes a back seat in this book but Katniss's memories and thoughts of him make me want to see more of him in the next books. 

The 'games' that the society in the book devised holds a message 'we have control over you' however the underlying story shows that people can't be controlled, they can be pushed in the right direction but they can not be controlled fully. This is only subtle throughout the book but the ending of the games really shows how society itself can be undermined. 

Mostly throughout the book I felt something between sympathy and pride, mostly for Katniss, but also for Rue, for Peeta. And anger for the Capitol, the other tributes the 'Careers' and the games itself. The events that occur are not little things, no luck for Katniss, which makes it more real, more heart-racing. I like that the story has a brutal side, because the story isn't a love story really, it's more a battle between yourself and society. 

I haven't seen the movie yet and I'm glad I read the book first because that way I interpreted the setting in my own way. I have a special space in my heart for this series now and need to get the second and third soon, I've heard they're just as heartbreakingly brilliant. 

10/10! On a whole, I adored the book, beats vampires any day. 


May the odds be ever in your favour!

2 comments:

  1. this book was absolutely AMAZING. :D
    Saw the movie twice but I want to see it again!

    (do u know about the annoying factor of captcha? I'd say remove it lol)

    blog: Arianne Cruz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really late to The Hunger Games as well - I literally only read it a couple of months ago!

    ReplyDelete