Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Review: Rapture by Lauren Kate


Author: Lauren Kate
Publisher: Random House UK
Series: Forth and final book in The Fallen Novels



The sky is dark with wings . . . .
Like sand in an hourglass, time is running out for Luce and Daniel. To stop Lucifer from erasing the past they must find the place where the angels fell to earth. Dark forces are after them, and Daniel doesn’t know if he can do this—live only to lose Luce again and again.
Yet together they will face an epic battle that will end with lifeless bodies . . . and angel dust. Great sacrifices are made. Hearts are destroyed. And suddenly Luce knows what must happen.
For she was meant to be with someone other than Daniel. The curse they’ve borne has always and only been about her—and the love she cast aside. The choice she makes now will be the only one that truly matters.
In the fight for Luce, who will win?




Rapture is the fourth book in a dearly loved series of mine, The Fallen Novels by Lauren Kate, in fact I write because the first book in the series inspired me so much. So this series will always mean a lot to me and I will carry it with me for the rest of my life. 


As all the Fallen novels do, you simply can not predict what is going to happen and are kept on edge, gripping your book tightly, from page to page. The pace that has built up from book to book is even more intense in Rapture. Bringing us an race to run to the ending. 


Again despite all that is happening, it is all about Luce discovering herself and her past. I always hoped for what she finds and I realised quite early in Rapture she was the one. And I adore what she discovers and the stories uncovered. We find more strength in Luce, she is an heroine, a fighter, a woman who is not afraid to love, a woman who is not afraid to discover her self and be true to herself. All doubts in Daniel are erased, his love for Luce is understood and their love empowers everything. 


Rapture is also kind of like a road trip, or an 'around the world in 9 days', something like that... and for someone who hasn't got to discover the world yet, it's an experience. You learn culture and history and the world along with love and religion and faith. 


The myths and technicalities of the history of the fall the angels and so on, are so complicated that a book like this could easily become confusing, and yes maybe it isn't true but it is a fiction book after all,  and Lauren has made the story into a beautiful one, a memorable. 


The ending is what I adore the most, at first I thought is that it, is that what the big build up was for, because after a long race and build of tension I guess I expected something like a miracle or even something tragic, but the ending it has is actually perfect, it's simple and romantic and just perfect. Although Luce and Daniel could have had an immortal fairytale ending, maybe Lauren is trying to tell us that real fairytales exist in morality, and that is the most romantic ending I can think of. 


There are moments of grief and anger and disbelief along with love and admiration and pride - Rapture is the cherry upon this series of books, it does not go quietly, it leaves you crying and smiling and with a story you'll always remember. 
And now there is no more books to anticipate, I will be waiting for the movies! Though none could perceive it as perfectly as it has been written. 


Reviewed for Random House UK


I don't think you need me to rate this, you can probably tell how much I adore this series. 



No comments:

Post a Comment