Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Classics: Wuthering Heights



This is the first edition to my set of classic reviews! Wuthering Heights has been the first ever classic novel that I have read and I wasn't disappointed. At first I found it difficult to get into the old fashioned way of speaking but once I got used to it I found I enjoyed that style. Although I've noticed.. they tend to ramble on a little bit in classics, don't you think?

Wutehring Heights story line has actually really grown on me and it's a refreshing change from lovey dovey young adult books, which generally end happily/only deal with minor issues (not that I don't love YA books)... because this book was real, the problems the characters had to over come or live with were real.

Surprisingly I found myself sympathising with Heathcliff, he was just broken hearted, the stable boy who never got the princess; although he did take things too far some of the time.. but isn't that what love does to you? I think it classically portrays how love happens most of the time in the real world, it's not simple, it's complicated, there are secrets and possibly someone else involved, theres that one that got away.

For most of it I liked Catherines character too and her story is very sad, but even after she's gone she stays with the characters for the rest of their time. I didn't dislike Mr Linton either, it wasn't his fault he fell in love with her too. There weren't that many characters I disliked, Linton (the boy) towards the end and the man that looks after the Heights maybe.

The characters lives were very tangled, like they lived alone on the moors away from the rest of the world, and since they were characters who liked to isolate themselves anyway I guess all they needed were each other.

For those who have read the classics I would love to hear your opinion/other you enjoyed, and for those who haven't yet ventured that way, what are you scared of? If you're young.. I'm 17 and I loved it.. give it ago!

Overall I really liked Wuthering Heights and I'm sure it will be read over and over by me during my life.

2 comments:

  1. I need to read Wuthering Heights for one of my units at uni! I haven't yet, but I will soon and it's great to read your review!
    Can't wait for your other Classics reviews :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea me too Wuthering Heights is part of my exam at A-level this year, but I've wanted to read it for a while! I think you'll enjoy it.

      Delete