Sunday, June 30, 2013

Review: Interworld by Neil Gaiman and Michael Reaves

Interworld by Neil Gaiman & Michael Reaves


When Newbery Medal winner Neil Gaiman and Emmy Award winner Michael Reaves teamed up, they created the bestselling YA novel InterWorld.

InterWorld tells the story of Joey Harker, a very average kid who discovers that his world is only one of a trillion alternate earths. Some of these earths are ruled by magic. Some are ruled by science. All are at war.

Joey teams up with alternate versions of himself from an array of these worlds. Together, the army of Joeys must battle evil magicians Lord Dogknife and Lady Indigo to keep the balance of power between all the earths stable.

Teens—and tweens and adults—who obsessively read the His Dark Materials and Harry Potter series will be riveted by InterWorldand its sequel, The Silver Dream


Review 


When I first began reading Interworld I felt the voice and the world created inside of the novel might be for younger readers. I felt slightly odd reading a book that felt like it was for children or much younger teenagers. Maybe this was because I had been reading Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre Classics for English at the time, or maybe just the whole idea within the book felt too fantasy to be something believable in a adult's mind. Or possibly it was because the idea of different worlds was something I had thought and dreamt about as a child and it reminded me of those days.

I'm not sure which, but none the less I kept reading, I only ever really give up on a book when it really bores me, not when it is too tough to decipher or if it feels to young for me. So I read on, and I have to say although the outline of the story and the elements do on the surface seem like for a young audience, the way the book is actually written is very educational. I think because of this, it opens the book out to a much wider audience. Children and younger readers could enjoy Interworld because it is very magical and thrilling and they would simply not notice the deeper meaning in the words that older readers can, allowing the older readers into a meaningful story that involves young characters. So once I had gotten past the 'fantasy-like' concept of the book feeling too young for me, I saw how the writers meant much more.

For example, Interworld explores family learning to accept and let go of loved ones, bravery in a young child, friendship and loyalty, duty and pride, going beyond ones limit, having faith in others, not being accepted or being judge for something you didn't quite understand, feeling like an outsider, coming to terms with being alike others and that you belong somewhere else than your home.

There is so much within this story that makes it much more than a story of exploring the different worlds, there is action, greif, trust, loyalty, tension, fright, bravery... I could go on. The journey of the main character Joey is outstanding and I think a lot of young readers can be influenced by such a character.

4/5 A must read for younger readers and those older ones who enjoy fantasy and thrill.

I really enjoyed Interworld and I have its sequel The Silver Dream, which I hope to read and bring you the review of soon!


Reviewed for Harper Collins UK Publishers

See you soon! Hope everyone is enjoying their summer holidays!


2 comments:

  1. Cảm ơn tác giả rất nhiều :D. Mong rằng bạn sẽ có những bài viết bổ ích hơn nữa :D
    Oh, Great!!!Your article is very good. Cảm ơn tác giả đã mang tới cho chúng tôi những thông tin bổ ích
    Read more:Các bạn xem thêm thông tin so xo hang ngay truc tiep hoặc bạn có thể xem soi cau ket quaxo so hang ngay cung chung toi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cảm ơn tác giả rất nhiều :D. Mong rằng bạn sẽ có những bài viết bổ ích hơn nữa :D
    Oh, Great!!!Your article is very good. Cảm ơn tác giả đã mang tới cho chúng tôi những thông tin bổ ích
    Read more:Các bạn xem thêm thông tin so xo hang ngay truc tiep hoặc bạn có thể xem soi cau ket quaxo so hang ngay cung chung toi

    ReplyDelete